Ten gift ideas for authors and bibliophiles
If you've got a reader or writer on your holiday gift list, you've got a challenge. A lack of impulse control when it comes to the written word means favored novels and non-fiction have already joined thetowering to-be-read piles belonging to your loved ones.
What to do? Here are 10 ideas, each of which comes with a variety of options, giving you hundreds of possible choices. Many of these items are individually created and require significant lead time for holiday delivery -- which is why I'm launching this blog pre-Halloween!
The crafty among you can adapt some of these concepts and individualize them.
- Play it by Ear: Earrings celebrating her favorite book or author. Custom Orders available. https://www.etsy.com/listing/195961661/book-cover-earrings-les-miserable-quote
- Sock it to 'em: The Sock Drawer offers a wide variety of footwear celebrating classic novels sure to please any bibliophile. https://sockdrawer.com/collections/womens-awesome-literature-socks
- Celebrate the Sleuth Within: With this pin reminiscent of Nancy Drew created by Laura Bruland Shields (Other literary gifts available, created by the same artist.) https://www.uncommongoods.com/product/girl-detective-pin
- Shelve it: Society6 offers a variety of book themed bags for your groceries, books, or gym gear. https://society6.com/bags/shelf
- Life is too short to read bad books or drink bad wine. Perfect for your book club buds. Custom orders available for painted glassware and glasswear with your favorite bookish saying. https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodsieMakesThings
- Truth in Signage: This artist also offers "I'm writing" and "I'm reading" signs for the more disciplined folks on your list. (Order early. Ships from the UK) https://www.etsy.com/listing/228031400/gifts-for-writers-go-away-im-not-writing
- Creatures were stirring...and reading: Theatrical costumer creates bookish mice...along with those dressed as wizards, knights, chefs, nurses, etc. Contact the artist for price and availability at: mouseearsandwhiskers (at) gmail (dot) com. (convert email address to standard format with symbols and without spaces).
- Frame it: Cover art is too wonderful to remain hidden on a shelf. Frame their magnum opus or favorite fiction. Load up a jpeg at various custom framing sites including: https://www.frameiteasy.com
- Get it in ink: Signed copies of favorite authors books give readers a warm glow. BN.com, Amazon.com, https://www.abebooks.com/books/inscribed-autographed-signature-collectible, and your local book seller can help you. Or contact authors directly via their websites. (For the stickers, go to: http://autographedbytheauthor.com)
- Tell it like it is: "She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain" –Louisa May Alcott. This artist offers many similarly themed options. https://www.etsy.com/listing/246803031/bookworm-she-is-too-fond-of-books
Thank you for visiting my blog. When I'm not blogging, I'm writing the Maggie McDonald Mystery series about a Professional Organizerand her Golden Retriever. Learn more about me and my cozy mystery series, including upcoming sales, appearances, and books here.